Ztools, the Infocom Toolkit by Mark Howell,
currently maintained by Matthew T. Russotto
Ztools contains the following tools:
check - checks story file integrity, same as $verify command. Works on all
types except for V1, V2 and early V3 games which have no checksum
in the header. Optionally outputs a new story file of the correct
infodump - dumps header, object list, grammar and dictionary of a given
story file. Works on all types. Grammar doesn't work for V6
inforead - converts IBM bootable disks to story files. Only for IBM PCs,
requires Microsoft C or Borland C.
pix2gif - convert IBM MCGA/VGA (*.MG1) picture files from V6 games to
individual GIF files, viewable on most platforms.
txd - disassembles story files to Z code assembly language, plus text
strings. Works on all games from V1 to V8. Also supports Inform
Current version: 7/3.1 (07nov98). Some of the executables below contain older
versions of Ztools which may not support all of the game files mentioned above.
- infotoolkit.shk [18-Aug-1993]
- Infocom Toolkit by Mark Howell, probably version
14apr93, ported to the Apple IIGS by Matt Ackeret.
Runs under Orca or GNO or any compatible shell.
Packed with ShrinkIt.
- Mac_TXD.sit [03-Dec-1998]
- Mark Howell's TXD (and some associated Ztools)
ported to the Macintosh by Grey Lowell.
Fat binary for 68020 or better and PowerPC
- mactxd.sit.hqx [27-Jul-1996]
- txd (27jul96, version 5/10) for the Macintosh,
ported by Robert M. Dickau
- mactxd_readme.txt [27-Jul-1996]
- Description of mactxd.sit.hqx
- ztools71_mpw.cpt.bin [14-Feb-1997]
- Ztools version 7/1 compiled as Macintosh MPW tools
by Matthew T. Russotto
- ztools72_os2.zip [25-Sep-1997]
- OS/2 executables version 7/2 (03aug97); ported by
John W. Kennedy. OS/2 Warp executable, OS/2
source code, and the original source.
- ztools731.tar.gz [07-Nov-1998]
- Ztools portable source code version 7/3.1 (07nov98)
for Amiga, DOS, Mac, Unix and VMS
- ztools731_dos.zip [12-Mar-2002]
- MSDOS executables version 7/3.1 (07nov98), built by
Steve Nickolas. Archive includes 16-bit (built with
Watcom) and 32-bit (built with DJGPP) executables.
- ztools731_freebsd.tar.gz [13-May-2001]
- FreeBSD executables, version 7/3.1 (07nov98).
- ztools731_osx.zip [19-Oct-2006]
- Mac OS X executables version 7/3.1 (07nov98),
compiled by Brad Town.
- ztools731_riscos.spk [12-Apr-2002]
- RISC OS executables version 7/3.1 (07nov98),
ported by Kevin Bracey.
- ztools731_win32.zip [03-Jun-2001]
- Win32 (Windows 95/98/NT) executables version
7/3.1, ported by Kirk Klobe
- ztools73_amiga.lha [15-Feb-1998]
- Amiga executables version 7/3 (07feb98), ported
by David Kinder
- ztools73_beos.zip [25-Oct-1998]
- BeOS executables version 7/3 (07feb98), compiled
by Stephen van Egmond.
PowerPC and Intel x86 versions included